Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day Fun!


I've been having a craving for some yummy chocolate cake; so for Valentine's Day I made my mom's recipe for Devil's Food Cake.  It's actually a chocolate mayo cake, some people call it Depression Cake and it is absolutely delicious!  After I made the cake, I thought, now I have to make the boiled icing with crushed candy cakes on top like my mom used to do.  All of a sudden, my cake became inspiration for a card.  My good friend back home has a birthday coming up, she loves the chocolate chip cardstock and her house is decorated in red so I thought this would make the perfect inspiration for her birthday card!  Here is what I came up with...

First, I tore the edges of the red, white, and DPS.  Then, I did a little sponging on the edges with chocolate chip ink to tone down the color a bit.  Next, I distressed the edges with a bone folder and some scissors (use old scissors, this dulls the blades quickly).  I layered all of this and tied a red ribbon around the top.  Next, I punched out the sentiment, again sponging the edges in chocolate chip.  Finallly, I stamped, colored, and cut out cupcakes.  To attach them, I popped the sentimate and one of the cupcakes.
 
Sweet Deets (All Stampin' Up:
Cardstock: Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Real Red
DSP: Real Red
Ink: Real Read, Chocolate chip
Stamp Sets: Cause for Celebration, Whimsical Words
Techniques: Sponging, Tearing, Distressing
Accessories: Pop Dots, Sponge, Larve Oval Punch, Holiday Ribbon (non-SU)


3 comments:

  1. WOW, love the card and the cake looks yummy - would love to have that recipe.
    TFS,
    barb S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm Hmmm I love it if you would share that Wonderful looking cake, Are there any crumbs left.
    Thanks in advance for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm that cake is delicious looking and the card is perfect@

    ReplyDelete